Sunday, October 16, 2011

I'm graduating CSUN in May. At that time, I will see who I will talk to again and who will forget I ever existed, erased from their history. I remember when I graduated high school, we all did the "We are gonna talk and hang out all the time. Definitely." social ritual. I literally talk to one person from Academy of the Canyons on a regular basis. ONE. Out of my whole graduating And that contact is strictly online from someone I rarely talked to in high school. The rest of them, I, for the most part, could pass on the street and nothing would happen. Not even a cordial hello. I've actually forgotten who was in my graduating class. I've had best friends who had moved across the country that I haven't talked to since they moved.

The reason I bring this up is because I feel like I should prepare myself never to make contact with my CSUN friends again once I graduate. I've learned in this life that a lot of times, friends do come and go. Truth be told, and this is a brutal truth, but I feel like I never got too close to my CSUN friends. Sure I like them enough to be with them a lot. I know they like me too. They don't just tolerate me, but they do genuinely like me. But, I always got the distinct feeling from them that as soon as I left CSUN, it would be a repeat of my high school experiences. Of course, my CSUN friends are essentially church life friends, so the bond of God would keep us together. I don't think they would forget who I am so much as we would just lose contact over time. Hopefully this feeling will change as the year progresses, but I do need to be prepared to leave it all behind once law school starts.

Why do I bring up the CSUN friends? I do not intend to be negative at all. As a matter of fact, I was just thinking about how my best friends are still the Kanadian Koture Kids from high school. Even after two and a quarter years of college, my best friends are friend who I haven't gone to school with since 2007. It is truly amazing to me that after all these years, it is like nothing had ever changed. When we are together, it doesn't feel like we've all gone away to different colleges. I'm thinking about doing a road trip next year. Strangely, it isn't my CSUN friends who are the first people in my mind. It's the guys who I haven't seen regularly, but still have a strong bond of friendship with. Hopefully this strong bond of friendship can set a template that this year will build between me and my CSUN friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment