Wednesday, September 28, 2011

International Law and the Collapse of a Nation

Wow. Today saw what, in my opinion, are two of the four worse collapses in Major League Baseball  history. The Boston Red Sox and Atlanta Braves both had 9+ game leads for their respective wild cards in early September. Somehow, the Lazaruses known as the Tampa Bay Rays and St. Louis Cardinals won their respective wild cards.

As an Angels fan, I am so happy about the Red Sox collapse. I hate the Red Sox and I hate Red Sox Nation (the nation reference in my title) with a passion previously only reserved for the Yankees. Now I hate the Red Sox more than that because they broke my heart in 2007 and 2008 playoffs. But back to the collapse itself.

Let me list where I would rank these collapses:

1. 1964 Philadelphia Phillies
2. 2007 New York Mets
3. 2011 Boston Red Sox
4. 2011 Atlanta Braves
5. 1995 California Angels

All this was after what could be the greatest regular season night in baseball history. The Braves lost their game in an 13-inning spellbinder. The Red Sox lost on a walk-off single by Baltimore. The Rays won on a walk-off home run by Evan Longoria that will be mentioned alongside the famous Shot Heard Round the World in 1951 for years to come. The Rays were down 7-0 heading into that game and were a strike away from losing the game.

All this was happening while I was in my International Law class. There was a lecture regarding state immunity and diplomatic immunity that quite honestly I wasn't paying too much attention to. Then was the exam. It was open book, but it kicked my butt. It was so hard, I began stressing out and questioning if I was fit for law school momentarily. I gathered my thoughts and was able to complete it, barely. Hope I get a decent grade on it.

In other news, my dog seems to be doing better. He seems to have his regular mindset back, even if his leg is still healing from the surgery.

Today's enjoyment: Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." 

No comments:

Post a Comment