Thursday, December 8, 2011

Albert Pujols/CJ Wilson signings

For a guy who has the term "angelsfancrc" in his URL, I sure don't talk about the Angels a lot. Or baseball for that matter. But today, I had to make a post. If I didn't, I think I might be legally obligated to change my URL. (Well, at least in CA. In Missouri, they would love it. Come to think of it, this blog might now be banned in that state now). The events of this morning were a seismic shift in the MLB and shocked the world.

Last night I had posted on Twitter that I had hoped that Albert Pujols, the free agent first baseman widely considered among the best players of all time, and CJ Wilson, the left handed free agent starter that was on the Texas Rangers, would sign by the time I woke up. I was afraid the free agent frenzy would distract me from the ethics papers I needed to write today. I had heard the Angels were in the race for both, but expected Pujols to sign with the St. Louis Cardinals (hometown discount; no way Angels would give him a good offer) and CJ Wilson to sign with the Florida Marlins (Money! Money! Money! MONEY! Some people got to have it! (Great, now I have the O'Jays stuck in my head!)) .

This morning I wake up and check facebook on my phone, like I always do. I had seen a post from LAA Insider on my facebook wall that Albert Pujols had signed with the Angels. I was still half-asleep, so I figured it would be one of those "What if?" articles that blogs do when their teams lose players they were going after. But, I noticed I had three text messages, so I read those. I was actually reading correctly. This was not a "What if?" post. I then checked my twitter for confirmation. It was true. At the time I woke up, my twitter was already abuzz with the CJ Wilson news too. So much for me being able to focus on my ethics papers today.

I would like to go over the impact of the CJ Wilson signing first. He signed for 5 years/$75 million, which coincidentally are the exact numbers I was hoping he would sign for. Yesterday, I was praying the Angels would not sign CJ Wilson. I was figuring he would want 6 years/$110 million. I did not want that much money going to a guy who would be our 3rd best starter and has only been pitching in the starting rotation in Texas for 2 years. Not a lot to go by there. I was hoping we would sign Mark Buerhle, another free agent starting pitcher, even though there weren't even rumors of the Angels pursuing him. He signed yesterday with the Marlins for 4 years/ $58 million. I was hoping maybe Huroki Kuroda, who still hasn't signed.

Well we got CJ Wilson for terms I am extremely pleased by. This move, I feel makes the Angels rotation the strongest in MLB outside of maybe the San Francisco Giants (although they traded a good pitcher away in Jonathan Sanchez) or the Philadelphia Philles (o-ver-rat-ed). I mean, it strengthens our strength and adds depth and at that price, I'm not complaining to have the best starting pitcher on the market sign.

Of course, CJ Wilson shocked nobody. He had been rumored for a while to want to go to the Angels. It was the big kahuna that shocked the world. Albert Pujols. The most iconic player of our generation. The guy who had roots in St. Louis. He signed in Anaheim for 10 years/ $255 million.

Now I am not a fan of long-term, blockbuster contract. If I was a GM, I would not have made this deal quite honestly. Yes, he's the best player in baseball, but that type of contract financially hampers a franchise. It limits the ability to make moves or to resign your players.

Today, I am happy that I am not the GM of the Angels. I, for once, am happy about the Angels signing this blockbuster deal. We get an iconic player. This is the only player we have had in our history that is an established icon and can continue to perform like an icon for at least a portion of his time with the Angels. The only players who can be considered icons to play for the Angels were Nolan Ryan (before he became an icon) and Reggie Jackson (about five years past his prime).

Also, we were embarrassed last offseason. We were in the race for Carl Crawford. He practically begged to join the Angels. Yet, somehow, he winds up in Boston (quite possibly the only team I hate. I have stated that I refuse to get intimate with a girl who is a Red Sox fan. I wasn't joking). So instead, we trade our great offensive hitter (Mike Napoli) and take on what is unanimously considered the worst contract in baseball (Vernon Wells). Napoli is traded to our rivals and helps them nearly win the World Series. Wells, statistically, actually cost the Angels at least one game in 2010. Yea. It feels good to actually make some offseason moves and be considered winners in an offseason for once.

Also, it helps the Angels gain a foothold in Southern California sports. They've always been second tier to the Dodgers. Well the Dodgers are trying to find new ownership and are in a bit of a downward spiral. But it won't be long for the Angel's opportunity to expand in LA to close. I'm glad the Angel seized the opportunity. They took the publicity of an icon and honestly, people will be talking about the Anaheim team for a while. The Dodgers, for once, will be in the Angels shadow.

Also, Angels fans will get to watch historic milestones that will be remembered by our fanbase. That is what baseball is about. Building memories. Every Angels fan will be a part of a special moment when Pujols hits his 500th, 600th, and possibly 700th home runs. That alone will be worth it to a lot of fans. I almost feel bad for St. Louis fans because I feel that they should've been a part of this process, not us usurpers. We cheated them of the big moments.

Let's also not forget Pujols is still a productive player. Yes, he statistically has been on the decline the last couple years. Those statistics also are still near-MVP number. If he can produce to the caliber he is capable of and has shown even the last two years, the Angels are championship contenders, especially with that rotation. Speaking of building memories, a World Series title is more important than the individual milestones (I dont think a lot of Angels fans remember where they were when Reggie JAckson hit his 500th HR, but we all know where we were when that last out was made in October 2002).

Yes, ten years is a long time. Pujols probably won't be worth it after five or six years. The money might be too much for us to be able to resign Dan Haren. But I will worry about those things when they come. For now, I am going to enjoy that for just this once, Anaheim is on top and has one of the best players in baseball history.

No comments:

Post a Comment