Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Up and Onwards

I played Geometry Wars, the shooter for the Xbox 360 for the first time since June of 2009. That was literally right after I had graduated high school, before I even entered CSUN. In 2009, I was obsessed with video gaming and always knew what was going on in the industry and what the hot new releases were, especially for Xbox Live Arcade. I never bought new (I was always a hipster in that sense), but I enjoyed getting excited about games and especially was interested in early 1990s, retro gaming.

Flash forward to 2011, and I barely have a care for video games anymore. My interest in gaming had waned. I had no time anymore to care about such things. I have a subscription to Electronic Gaming Monthly, but that was more for nostalgia purposes than anything. The magazines sit on my shelf unread, next to my law school brochures. As I was playing the shooter, I had a realization: I had outgrown my love of video games.

I simply do not have the time to play them. All the games I play now are the pick-up-and-play type. A game of NCAA Football here, a game of MLB 2K10 there, trying to get the high score in Peggle or Angry Birds, maybe a mission in GTA or Saints Row. But nothing substantial. I do not have the time or the attention span to try and explore a deep rich world and story that gaming provides. This is too bad because now, as an adult, I can understand the intrigue behind the story and I now have the patience to sit through cutscreens and appreciate the richness of the details of a world.

That being said, I am growing up. Next semester may be the last time I have any time to play video games at all. After that, I am going to law school, as anyone who has talked to me has heard innumerably. After I graduate law school, I am going to have a full-time job. Shortly thereafter, I'm going to have a wife, and then shortly after that kids. Sitting down and playing Elder Scrolls VI will essentially be out of the question.

You might be saying, "Cody, you are only 20. Why are you giving all this talk of growing up and settling down already? You have most of the decade before you should be having a family talk." I'll be honest. I'm going to regret not going on adventures with friends and things of that sort which are associated with being a twenty-somethings youth. But the truth of the matter is, I am going to be career-oriented. Taking a random cruise with friends or a random Vegas or Europe trip will be out of the question as I start my career.

Growing up, I had always seen myself as older than I actually was. By the time I was 13, I was too old for Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network or Disney Channel. I was arrogant and found myself above hanging out with the commoners in high school. Instead, I stuck to my videogames.

This summer, I hope to make up for 19+ years of lost adventures and memories with friends. I hope to go camping with friends and frankly, I hope I'm not home most of the summer and just being with different friends. Heck, even in law school, I'll have my holiday breaks too.

Actually, as I was typing this, I had a realization. Just because I don't have many stories to tell my kids about my childhood, does not mean I missed out. Yes, I wish I had enjoyed my youth more, but I still had a good childhood with my close friends, most of whom I'm still close with. Also, I have a huge future to rewrite my memories. Like I said, this summer, I plan on being with friends a lot. Also, in law school, I'll have new stories to tell kids.

Growing up does not mean you have to stop having fun. Yes, I wish I were a teenager without responsibilities, but perhaps gaining responsibilities can redefine my definition of fun.

Speaking of fun, I can't wait to enjoy Skyrim and escape my responsibilities for a bit. Perhaps I won't have the time for deep video gaming, but that might not be a negative. I'm growing up, becoming a man. There is no reason not to accept this new challenge and frontier. I may not be clubbing every night, but I still have my friends whom I enjoy being with very much.

As I began writing this, it was with a sense of regret.  Regret that I didn't have more adventures as a kid. But why should I let that stop me from having fun as an adult? As you may have noticed, halfway through, my mindset shifted. I am now excited to grow up. Now I can go out on my own and take road trips with friends. I may have to plan around it, but there's nothing stopping me yet. And by the end of the decade, I can take road trips and adventures with my wife and child. Just because I have responsibilities doesn't mean I die. It just makes a new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment