Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2014

Well the year 2013 is coming to a close. Normally, I would like to do a retrospective on the year that was, but frankly the year was so uneventful overall for me, a retrospective would only serve to bore you and make me depressed. (The only thing I could think of note for me was being in the same room as President Obama at the memorial for the firefighters who died in the West explosion in April.)

So I decided to lay out some goals for 2014. Since nobody entirely cares about other people's resolutions, I also figure I'll give some predictions about events I think will occur in 2014 as well.

First, I'll get the resolutions out of the way. Of course, these resolutions are all subject to the fact that Practice Court will be ruling my life basically 24/7 from February until July.

  • I need to be friendlier and more social. While compared to my high school self, I am a very jovial guy, I still am missing out on fun times as well as potential networking opportunities. Right now, I see myself as a boring guy to talk to and I definitely need to change that.
  • Need to be less afraid. I need to be more willing to take a risk and put myself out there. Obviously I am not talking about doing anything imprudent, but I have to get out of my shell. I'm not talking about engaging in carnal knowledge (although using the term "carnal knowledge" guarantees I won't have to worry about that), drinking, or engaging in other lascivious behaviours. I don't really have a good example, but I'm thinking this goal goes hand-in-hand with being more social. 
  • I need to mature. I honestly do need to grow up. I am not ready yet to be a professional. I am going to be a professional in early 2015 and need to be ready for that. I know this year, especially Practice Court. I also assume this maturation will give me incentive to lose the 30 pounds I need to lose.
  • Post- Practice Court, I need to volunteer more (perhaps at an animal shelter or something). As a Christian, it is our duty to help out in the community and to care for others as Christ would.
Now the predictions
  • As much as I think Florida State is easily the best team in college football, God is clearly on Auburn's side (at least three miracle victories). I have to say Auburn will win a close one on January 6.
  • Seahawks over Patriots in Super Bowl 48.
  • Gravity will win the Best Picture award at the Oscars.
  • I don't know anything about the NBA, but I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the Heat will three-peat.
  • The Texas Rangers will be lifting a championship banner in Arlington after winning the World Series over the LA Dodgers. (AL MVP: Mike Trout; NL MVP: Paul Goldschmidt)
  • The 2014 college football playoff will feature Alabama, Florida State, Baylor, and Ohio State. 
  • While the economy won't collapse the way it did in 2008, we will see severe single-day drop-offs in the markets. This is inevitable because the stock prices are exploding based upon nothing. Its a bubble waiting to happen. (If any more economically minded people wish to challenge this presumption, please feel free to educate me on the subject.)
Hope y'all have a great 2014 and feel free to send some of your predictions and goals to me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment